Sunday, November 26, 2006

Letters Written by My Father

Below are a few letters which I have saved...a few were written when I went off to India the first time in 2001 and when my parents both first learnt to use the computer, a couple from my second trip in 2003, and finally, a scanned document of a hand written letter my father sent to me during one of his visits in the States! You will have to click on the letter to read it...once you click on it, you will be taken to another page (Flickr) ...right above the picture you will see a little grey button than says "all sizes"...click on that and you will be rewarded with the letter in large enough writing to read it! enjoy! It is from 1993!!

Sept 23., 2003
My Dearest Janie, We followed with interest your travels in India and enjoyed the many stories and relationships with the many people you encounter.We were especially pleased to hear you managed to be with Chabad for the holidays. It seems to me that in your search for your"inner self " amid the culture of India it seems that you have missed the obvious -that with your educational background in religious studies - further studies will bring you the same feeling of finding yourself. The trick is to find the right path. The visit with Benyomin and his darling son was quite uplifting. His sudden departure because of the illness of Shneur was somewhat upsetting to us .Before he left he donated for the next Shabbat Farbrengen at the Chabad shul in our neighborhood in honor of his son's complete recovery- and sure enough the following week we heard that the brain surgery procedure was successful. He is still having trouble with his balance and his eyesight but the prognosis is good and with therapy he will be his old self again soon. His speech was not affected at all and his faith and confidence in a complete recovery is admirable, but what else can we expect from a Chabadnick? We are all praying with him. He is going home on Thursday, thank God. As usual your children brighten our days with visits and phone calls.Last week we celebrated our first anniversary here in Maonot Maccabbi and Mother , Aviva and I went to see the ballet Sleeping Beauty to celebrate. My condition is satisfactory, some days I am riding high, other days completely fatigued or suffering from arthritic pains all over the body. Thank God for the high flying days! Despite this we are content and happy in our new surroundings. It seems everyday is a holiday. We have made quite a few new acquaintances and enjoy being with the residents. My job as chief librarian is rewarding and joyful. I think talking to you on paper is easy and I could ramble on and on,but since your mother will have to transcribe this, I will stop. Again a very happy new year. Love Daddy

Aug 18, 2003
Dear Janie, Mother and I are enjoying your journals and observations. At home here the days and the weeks are just rolling by. I guess as we get older our sense of time changes. I seem to be busy all the time . Aside from ping pong twice a week and exercises twice a week and lectures and concerts, etc., I fill the remainder of the time keeping the library updated and do considerable reading. In between all that the computer keeps me very occupied.It is amazing what I find on there when I look for news.Yesterday I accidentally put it on the Indian newspaper , I think it is called the "Statesman" all about Indolence Day, prominent personalities disasters, politics, sports, etc. A few days before I was reading English newspapers ,one called "The Guardian",giving their views of Israel. Not very complementary. Mentally I am doing well for a young man, exercising my mind with all types of puzzles and games. Every Shabbat Mother and I play Rummykub , 6 or 7 games. After a lifetime of competition Mother has a slight edge. It is lots of fun. We are in close contact at all times with your children and grandchildren and enjoying every minute. I think I can go rambling on for a long time, but I will close now with all my love. Daddy


Sept 21 2001
Dearest jane : last week I wrote a long letter but the computer operatorerred and it disappeared in transmission.Our visit to the Avnis was trulywonderful. Shira is a wonderful hostess and schmulick was equally caring andthoughtful.Your grandchildren were a joy. Shachar like her aunt elisheva isvery artistic and bright like her grandmother. Amit is very social and hasquite an entourage of companions. Ori is a delight to his parents.He hangonto amit like glue and wants to be one of the boys when his friends come.Amit is a skilled computer operator,when it comes to playing games.. on the second of the holiday , Iwas forced to returnhome as my entire body was envelope by intense painand allmy energyevaporated. Iwas competently exhausted, Like night and day ,today I feelnormal, when mother wasn't looking cleaned out the pool. Motherisbeginning tofeel at home on the machine,to the extent that shenowexperimenting with the menu bar. We are pleased that you are now a seasonedtraveler and enjoying new ev\experiences.i'm wearimg down so good bye ,loveand enjoythe hoidays. Daddy

Sept 4 2001
To my darling jane. It's been so exciting to receive your e-mail day andnight. Right now we are reveling over the presence of benyomin. Usually I'mquiet in company, but the fact that benyomin is here has made meloquacious,chattering on and on about Any thing that comes to mind, usuallyirrelevant to the subject on hand, but then I'm so happy to see him.You're a chip off th old block with your aches and pain and my empathy isever present as I'm daily battling similar aches and pains.I find difficultyin walking , tire easily and quite forgetful. My cane is a source ofamusement as I leave it someplace daily.edna has been a dear friend andgenuinely concerned about us .Sid Pinkas is also very nice .Despite his busyschedule ,he found time to come and resusicate the computor.typical Israeli

No comments: